What to do if you are being molested
- Get one thing clear in your head - It was not your fault . No matter what the circumstances are, you have been victimized and the person who did this to you needs to be brought to justice.
- Contact law enforcement immediately. You don’t have to call 911, but you do need to tell the police. They can make it stop and take you out of the situation. Or call the National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1.800.656.HOPE
- If the molester is threatening you, this is his attempt to keep you under control. He knows as soon as you tell someone, he will be arrested.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE BEEN MOLESTED IN THE PAST:
- Do not feel guilty or take any blame for your abuse. It was not your fault. You were victimized because the molester wanted to hurt you, not because of any mistake you made.
- Contact law enforcement. The crime may have happened a long time ago, but the statutes of limitation and laws vary from state to state and there may still be a case for the state to prosecute against the one who victimized you.
- Go to our Find Help section to get connected with qualified counselors in your region. Or call the National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1.800.656.HOPE
WHAT TO DO IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS BEING OR HAS BEEN MOLESTED:
Don’t keep it a secret…even if the victim asks you to. Tell the nearest parent, guardian or law enforcement official. Child molestation is a serious crime that has to be dealt with.